It’s been a while since my last State of the Server post back in April. So before I talk about the future, let’s see what you may have missed in the last 7 months.
- New recipes — cracked stone brick, coarse dirt
- Re-enabled sponge behavior (some shops have them); Drying is not required until 1.8.
- Disabled block damage from creeper explosions above 62 y
- Halloween event that included mob head drops and new ridable zombie/skeleton horses
- Disabled minecart dispenser parking if the dispenser is powered
- Tilrasmon built the north-south roads in Omega to the borders of the world — a great addition to the transportation infrastructure on that world. I’ve started the work on the east road so that more people can be connected.
- The coin shop is re-stocked to the brim. Just want to get that out there.
Frog Park Updates
- New courses — Jungletree and Nethour
- New massive last-man-standing PVP game — Showdown — with 14 unique classes to choose from, and 11 new arenas.
- New minigame by Mortiseraphim and myself — 7 Seconds to Live — where you have seven seconds until you blow up, but you can extend your time by running over ores over several different arenas.
- New TNT Run minigame created by myself and gothem8. Survive the longest while the floor falls away and explodes.
- New gigantic modern art museum built almost entirely by froggerooh. It contains several cakes, a couple challenge courses, some secrets, and a pair of pants.
- New custom spectator mode for PVP games. “/pvp spectate <arena_name>”
- New explorable structures to discover and get cakes.
- Countless tweaks and improvements.
I also updated our server support process and rewards to pay for server costs. If you’ve donated in the past, you’ve been upgraded to this new system. This is still a work in progress, but it now adheres to Mojang’s guidelines better.
Looking Towards the Future (ie. When 1.8?)
It looks like the Spigot team is doing the hard work necessary to update Bukkit to 1.8 — a massive undertaking given the extra challenges involved. They have a working build and private testing went well on their servers. However, there isn’t a public build available yet. Once they release something I’ll be testing it against our server setup. Rest assured, it’s a high priority for me. So when will that be? Unless something goes wrong, it should be within this month!
Moving forward we’ll be needing more staff. If you’re at all interested in helping, please read up on how you can contribute.