As some of you may know, Minecraft 1.0 is going to be released on the 18th (tomorrow). There are many new things in this update that will dramatically change the adventure aspect of the game, while still introducing some blocks that’ll interest the creative folks. There are too many changes to list in this post, but here are some things that stood out to me:
- Weapon and armor enchantments (eg. fire resistance)
- Nether Fortresses with new block types (bricks, fences, stairs)
- Two new nether mobs (Magma Cube and Blaze)
- New world type called “The End” where Endermen and Enderdragon live, and a new block: End Stone.
- Tons of new items (Ghast Tear, Blaze Rod, Nether Wart, Gold Nugget, Glass Bottle, Spider Eye, Fermented Spider Eye, Blaze Powder, Magma Cream, Glistering Melon, Eye of Ender, plus nine more music discs)
- New sound effects
- Mushroom biome (including Mooshroom Cows and Mycelium block) and the return of the Snow biome
- NPCs in NPC villages
- Constructible Snow Golems
- Animal breeding (make baby animals!)
- Moon phases
- Item repair
- Potions (eg. Haste)
- Some balance changes: weapons do less damage without enchantments, armor lasts longer, mob health has been adjusted, etc.
- One exciting pick/shovel/axe enchantment is called “Silk Touch”. When you mine a block it’ll drop itself instead of what it’s supposed to. (eg. glowstone will drop the block, not glowstone dust)
This time around it looks like Bukkit will be updated on the same day that Minecraft 1.0 is released. They’ve had plenty of time to prepare and have a known date and time. You can probably safely expect to be playing 1.0 in the evening Pacific time. You can watch the whole MineCon event live over at IGN.
** Please note (once again) that the nether for the Final City world will be regenerated so that people can experience the Nether fortresses. In addition, this will give people more glowstone to harvest! **