It’s Easter egg hunt time! The new outworld is an Easter event world filled with hostile Easter bunnies who drop spawn eggs. (read: Video Games) You’ll be able to get these spawn eggs for as long as this outworld is connected, which will be at least until the end of the month.
- Added a new PVP game by froggerooh: Siege. Attackers must break through three special walls and kill the squid king before the time runs out. The game is still being balanced, but it can be played, ideally with 6 or more players.
- Added a new course by Mnbvc222 and gothem8: Redstone. Find the now-not-so-secret entrance button next to the warp (and watch out for the killing floor!).
- Added a new course by Nefyoni: 4steps. Each of four sections is a unique jumping challenge.
- Added duel mode to Cluck, rebalanced the game, and reset the scores so players can get more coins.
- Added time trials to a couple more courses and am now rewarding players who get a top time with 250 coins!
- I’m making a more organized dev spawn area, currently with free build testing areas for structures, redstone, mobs, and fireworks. Anything built in these areas are subject to removal. Do not build anything permanent there.
- Updated AntFarm to keep inventory on death. Any gear you get, you keep.
- Updated FrogWare with a new task. Find out what it is!
This month has been all about Omega. The main road is now 1800m long and the east-to-west road has been started. Meanwhile some people have already created some fantastic structures. I hesitate to mention any one person in particular because I could be here all day mentioning the cool stuff I’ve seen. So I’d recommend you check it out yourself.
Other Notable Changes
- Added speed run timers to courses. Use “/times top [coursename]” to see the top10 times.
- Added villager leashing.
- Display horse attributes when non-owners try to ride them.
- Added “here” parameter to /compass command.
- Made teleportation more reliable
What’s your passion? If you’re interested in contributing to the server in more ways, below are just a few examples in which you can do that. If any of these pique your interest, get in contact with the appropriate staff. As always, jumping onto our Mumble server is a great way to get in contact and more involved in the events and decisions for the server.
Do you have a passion for game design or level design theory for PVP, mob-arenas or other mini-games? Maybe you have an eye for sprucing up plain but well-designed layouts without interfering with the gameplay? Maybe you just want to try. This will probably entail cooperation with other builders and coders.
We have an array of obstacle courses, but I don’t think we’ve fully tapped the potential here. We could use some technical builders who can make something fun at its core while offering an interesting challenge. Aesthetic builders are also desirable here, to help the more technically inclined builders make things look good. We’re not necessarily looking for more of the same type of courses at this time. I’d like to see some different types (with good check-pointing and consideration for multiple players). Some more speed-running focused courses or clever puzzle courses could be nice, as some examples.
Not everyone chooses the same slots for their weapons and tools. I thought I’d ask you guys which slots you prefer to help us better setup the kits for our games. Note that I only include 1-5 for number key users. This doesn’t matter nearly as much for exclusively scroll wheel players, but you can still vote. Perhaps think of slots relatively within those 5 spots.
Go to the live map, choose Omega, and turn on regions. There’s a long region going East-West where I’m proposing we build a long wide road, much like our North-South road. We can have an interchange in the mountain just north of spawn. We don’t need to take these roads to the edge of the world. There are some natural end points. For example, in the East, it looks like a mesa plateau would be a nice capping point.
Proposed East-West Road
- Yes (100%, 17 Votes)
- No (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 17
72 people participated in the event. I found it even more memorable than founding Final City when we first opened Delta. While we waited for the opening, we played some games. Froggerooh setup the staging area around what he liked to call the “Omega Relay”, a massive Stargate that would ceremoniously teleport us to the new world. After a 20 second countdown, I fired up the Stargate and much fireworks, as people rushed through the event horizon.
In the first day we built nearly a kilometer of our highway. Here you can see me laying the first part of the road in what is now spawn.
I was impressed with the organization. Several players brought massive amounts of resources and gear to help out (I tried listing them here, but far too many people contributed! Though, some went way beyond the call.), which together with the labor made building the road almost too fast to manage. I was scrambling to keep up. At our peak we had 31 players on, some new and old faces. This shot was taken 11 minutes after countdown, and we had 29 an hour and a half later. We had about half the players in Mumble.
We took a break a few hours later to play some mini-games over at FrogPark, which was fun. Scottyd and I streamed the whole thing.
This is what the world looks like 36 hours later.
Thanks for coming, guys. I hope we can do more things like that in the future.
(screenshots courtesy of froggerooh)
On Saturday, February 8th it’ll be our third year anniversary since the Alpha world was first created. To celebrate this event, we’ll be launching our fourth world — Omega! The gate will be opened at 1PM Pacific / 4PM Eastern. You can bring any gear and materials you want with you to establish our new spawn city. This city will be stretched along part of a straight main road which will eventually cross over the whole world (for minecarts, walking, and horse riding). We’ve tentatively chosen a design for this road primarily made of birch wood, spruce wood, rails and gravel, so bring some of that if you can. If you don’t have the gear to protect yourself, don’t worry, some will be provided in this group project.
More details may be coming soon. I’ll see you there!