The last vote on our new world name is now closed. We had eight choices, and two stood out from the rest: Theta and Omega. But in the time-honored tradition of nerds, “there can only be one.” Or can there? OmegaTheta anyone? Meta? No no… as much as I have a fondness for mutant names, there must be a fight to the death. Commence!
– In its archaic form theta is used as a symbol for Earth.
– Alpha, beta, delta, and theta are brain signal frequencies.
– Its symbol is a circle with one or two lines through it, or alternatively a dot in the center. (eg. ϴ)
– In classical Athens, theta was used as a warning symbol of death.
– The great O. Mega means “great” or commonly “big”/”large”.
– Its symbol looks like a horseshoe, Ω, or as the lowercase “w”, ω. In Cyrillic it also has a round form: Ѻ.
– It has dozens of uses in physics, mathematics, and chemistry. I can only write a few here.
– In astronomy, it’s used to rank a star’s brightness within a constellation, or in the capitalized form, the universe’s density.
– In sociology, it’s used to refer to the lowest ranking member of a group.
– In relational databases it represents NULL, missing value.
Which world name do you think is best?
- Omega (55%, 29 Votes)
- Theta (45%, 24 Votes)
Total Voters: 53